Pages

Sunday 5 January 2014

Dry January


Five days in and all is well so far. It’s not a huge amount of days compared to a whole month but a couple of important milestones have been passed.

The first weekend has been got through without any hitches. Normally I would enjoy a small sherry or two (by that I mean my favourite tipple of a glass of dry white wine or three) of a weekend at home so it was a bit unusual to consciously choose not to have one when, frankly, I was in the mood. However, I persevered and feel all the better for it.

Secondly, my first night out with friends in 2014. Now, most if not all of my friends are not unafraid of spanking it hard so I was a little apprehensive for three reasons. Temptation; the chances of enjoying watching half a dozen people get a bit tipsy; and not being on my most scintillating form. However, I surprised myself on all the counts and I very much enjoyed myself to the point when I got home rather later than I had intended.

Why am I so keen and anxious about sticking to my guns on this one? Well, the truth is my love affair with ethanol has been a passion that has lasted more than 20 years. I’m not talking about getting hammered each night for all that time but I’ve probably, on an off, been quite unhealthy in my consumption. This has in part led to a tolerance for the booze that leaves my spanking friends impressed.

Also, about 15 years ago, I was attacked in my home by an intruder and I started drinking at home as a way of calming my nerves, which can’t have helped.

Being someone who indulge his pleasures as and when, the long term effect has been weight gain and I will admit to having body issues that prevent me from doing things I’d like to do – meeting new people, buying nice clothes etc. Dry January will, I hope, get me down towards a trimmer figure.

The health benefits of this exercise are quite clear; but if you need any convincing I found this lovely diagram online recently.

 
I want me some of that action!

Then in February I want me a small sherry. But just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, and for reading my ramblings. Let me check it first and I'll post it ASAP