Pages

Saturday 7 December 2013

One

Hello there gentle reader.

My name is Mike. I like to style myself 'A Cheerful Fairy' and this is my blog.

I suppose, first things first, I should tell you a little about myself. I mean, I'm not so special: the laws of physics apply to me much as anything else. But this is my blog, dumps from my brain. So...

Well, truth be told I was a  little unsure about how to get started on here. What would that first, all important, post be about? Well, let me make it about my Saturday night.

I'm at home. Home is a nice, new, apartment in South East London - Woolwich. Poor and imperfectly formed, we can afford to live here because it's a well kept secret. A nice community though. We tend to rub along well enough, bar the odd riot. And we have the biggest Tesco in Europe you know!

I'm in front of the tele', lap top on top of my lap, half-watching a zombie film (Remains). I adore a good zombie apocalypse and this one is worth noting because one of the survivors is gay, like me.

The only company I've got is Gypsy Moth, our goldfish. We also have a number of minnows in the tank with her, but she's a big girl and cheerfully bullies to death any other of her own kind we've tried to keep with her. My husband is convinced she is an evil genius. All I know is she's indestructible and I can't resist her begging for food.

Husband is out at his second job/first love which is managing concerts at a venue in central London. He's a classically trained musician, but his day job is working for a children's charity. Yes, heart of gold, that one! He'll be home in a couple of hours and we can chillax a little before bed time.

Sitting with me is my comfort and shield in this big bad world of ours - a glass of dry white wine. A reward after a long day's work. Weekends aren't really time off for those who work in the NHS. I'm not a clinician - I'm one of your faceless bureaucrat types - but I have a great job working in governance for a Clinical Commissioning Group and it's a privilege to help get the organisation off the ground.

Why A Cheerful Fairy? I believe it is hugely important to see the best in people, things and situations. Every problem presents opportunities. Every argument gives us the chance to see things from another's point of view. I'm not looking at the world through rose tinted glasses of course. For example, I like people. I like people in the sense of "We The People". I like the people I interact with personally on a day to day basis. I could cheerfully have everyone I share my commuter train with thrown into a wheat-thresher.

So that's a start of things.

Likes: zombies, sci-fi, white wine, reading, politics, walking, husband. Dislikes: westerns, poor customer service, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike,

    Is Remains any good? Never seen it, but love a good zombie film I do. On my list of top zombie films would be:
    -28 Days Later
    -28 Weeks Later
    - Shaun of the Dead
    - Zombieland

    Also loving The Walking Dead at the moment. Unfortunately with Zombie films they're either brilliant or absolutely rubbish.

    :) Good to see you back blogging again.

    A x

    Oh...P.S...I recently bought one of those iPad thingy's (don't ask me any questions, I'm a technophobe lol) and struggled to leave a comment here. Ended up jumping on my computer. Don't know if there's an issue with the comments on the blog from a tablet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Remains was very good in the end - and Zombieland is brilliant! Don't know of any tablet related issues with blogger but I haven't set it up for mobile blogging so maybe it's that - although I'm no better at this than you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, and for reading my ramblings. Let me check it first and I'll post it ASAP